Maintaining ideal hydration and nutrition levels requires the attention of both players and coaches before, during and after exercise. This includes training as well as competitive games and events.
Dehydration has a significantly detrimental effect on sports performance. It
Encourage Players To
- Ensure that over half their food intake comes from carbohydrate (CHO) based foods (6-10g CHO/kg body weight)
- Increase their intake of CHO foods a few days (2-3 days) before a endurance event or tournament
- Ensure their diet contains 1.2-1.7g protein/kg body weight
- Eat enough food to provide sufficient energy for training and games
- Maintain a hydrated state
** Players should avoid foods high in fat and fibre before and during exercise or event. **
Fad diets and programmes promoting a rapid weight loss tend to place the energy intake of active people and athletes at a risk and possibly increase the risk of fatigue, increasing the risk of injury. Players wishing to train hard and reduce body fat or weight should seek advice from a sports dietician or a sports medicine doctor.